January 19, 2019
In most cases, an aging parent won’t be the one to reach out to their children or family members for help. Many seniors will try to continue to live their life as usual despite their hardships. Instead, their children need to be on the lookout for key events that signal their parent needs assistance.
A few signs to be aware of are:
- Confusion when doing normal tasks
- Mail, paperwork, or food that piles up
- Unable to do basic tasks like using the bathroom
- Not keeping up with their hygiene
- When driving becomes difficult and you notice dents or scratches on the car
- Mood swings and attitude changes
- Broken appliances
- Weight loss and/or poor diet
- No longer interested in hobbies or socializing
- Home and/or yard is cluttered, dirty, unorganized, and unkempt
- Bruising they can’t explain
These are all indications that it may be time to enlist the help of an in-home caregiver to help mom or dad. It’s important to note that in most cases, your parent can still live at home and age in place. They may just need a caregiver to help with a few tasks that have become harder for them to accomplish.
Home Instead Senior Care offers personalized in-home senior care that is tailored for each individual to provide as little or as much support as they need. Our services range from personal care, companionship, 24-hour care, live-in care, Dementia, arthritis, diabetes, and other conditions care, respite care, and more. For more information, please contact us through our online form or call us at (562) 401-0010.